A scam describes any fraudulent scheme that takes money or other goods from an unsuspecting person. With the world becoming more connected thanks to the Internet, online scams have increased and it’s often up to you to stay cautious with people on the Internet.
Every new day is an opportunity for online scammers to come up with news ideas to steal from people, either personal details, accounts and especially their money.
How to detect online scams
- Windows support scam: Tech scammers lure you to an error message about operating system telling you to call a phone number to fix an issue on your system. This surely screams scam alert, a real security warning never asks you to call any number.
- App popup to install: “Fraudsters have become so sophisticated that they can essentially generate as much fraud as they want by faking installs,” said Shachar Guz, product manager at AppsFlyer. They get credits by getting you to install their fake apps which may be a virus injection to your mobile or system.
- Free offers: Everyone love free stuff and that is why this is a rampant scam. If you see anything online for free on some shopping sites or any site at all, think twice before accepting the offer.
- Social networking scam:It’s no secret that everyone loves social media. It allows us to connect with people and it also pose a dangerous threat.
- Photo scam: People receive messages on their social media containing “see how you look in this picture” with an attached link. It is a scam.
- Gossip scam: An ad popups stating “Kobe Bryant survives the helicopter crash”. This scam targets everybody, I mean who doesn’t love celebrity gossip? The ad tells the person to download an app to access the information hereby giving access to malware.
- Suspicious texts/emails: Unexpected text or emails sent to you from an unknown number/email, please ignore and do not open it.
Do take note that scam ideas are built on fear (getting a virus on your system), greed (obtain more money, getting free items,shopping for less amount) and ignorance(not aware of scam before giving out your personal details).
Beware of online scams!