What is a PNG file?
A PNG file is an image file stored in the Portable Network Graphic (PNG) format. It contains a bitmap of indexed colours and uses lossless compression, similar to a .GIF file but without copyright limitations. PNG files are commonly used to store graphics for web images.
Steps to convert
- Open the picture you want to convert. Double-click the JPG file to do so. This will open the file in your computer’s Photos app if Photos is the default photo viewer.
If the Windows 10 Photos app isn’t your computer’s default photo viewer, you’ll need to right-click the picture, select Open with, and click Photos.
- Click Edit & Create. It’s a tab in the upper-right side of the Photos window. Clicking it prompts a drop-down menu.
- Click Edit with Paint 3D. This option is in the drop-down menu. Doing so opens the JPG in the Paint 3D program.
- Click Menu. It’s in the top-left corner of the window. A menu will appear.
- Click Image. This is in the lower-right side of the menu. Clicking it prompts a Save As window to open.
- Select “PNG” as the file type. Click the “Save as type” drop-down box at the bottom of the window, then click 2D – PNG (*.png) in the resulting drop-down menu.
You can also add a file name to the “File name” text box and/or select a save location on the left side of the window before proceeding.
- Click Save. It’s in the bottom-right corner of the window. Doing so saves a copy of your JPG file as a PNG file.